Allen County Museum

& Historical Society

 
The MacDonell House

    Located at 632 West Market Street, adjacent to the Allen County Museum, the 1893 Victorian “MacDonell House” once occupied a prime location on what was known as the “Golden Block,” so named for the opulent homes and their wealthy owners - as well as a time of great economic growth and prosperity in Allen County. 

    The Oil Boom of northwest Ohio began in 1885 in Lima.  The boom brought great investment into the area, not just in oil, but in many related businesses causing unprecedented growth.  At that time, the 600 block of Market Street was on the edge of town and the newly developing neighborhoods were growing along the major transportation corridors into town. 

    Today, the MacDonell House is one of the few remaining examples of Victorian architectural elegance that once marked the “Golden Block.”

    Pictured on the left is the beautiful stained glass window that fills the landing of the grand staircase.

1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8