What The Student Gains:
Earn a Stipend: The Allen County Museum offers a stipend available at the completion of the internship to reimburse, in part, travel expenses incurred during the experience. Internship stipends are determined by the number of hours worked and can range between $500-$800 per internship.
Gain Professional Experience: Expand your knowledge and career by working with professional staff. Interns have opportunities to shadow staff in addition to their projects.
Observe a School Tour: Learn how our tours tie in with the Ohio Learning Standards and see what an asset volunteers are to the museum.
Work With the Staff: In order to provide an overview of the different positions in the museum, interns will have the opportunity to network with staff, where they will learn about different areas of the museum field, such as collections, exhibitions, education, marketing and administration.
Curatorial Department Job Descriptions
Collections Processing Intern
Minimum of 100 hours. During this collections-focused, introductory internship, the intern will learn basic collections care principles, acquire object handling skills, and become familiar with methods of marking collections. The intern should be detail-oriented and have proficient skills in writing and research.
- Catalog 2D and 3D materials, including measuring and photography/scanning objects
- Research collections to adequately describe the objects
- Add and edit records in the museum’s PastPerfect database
- Number objects, labelling the objects with its ID number
- Rehouse collections, as needed
Exhibition Development Intern
Minimum of 200 hours. During this internship, the individual will learn the process of creating an exhibition from development to installation. Because this is an advanced internship, basic object handling and collections care experience is preferred.
- Research collections and historical content for exhibitions
- Write exhibit labels
- Prepare artifacts for display
- Evaluating the exhibition
- Create Marketing materials for exhibit and associated programming, including a social media campaign
- Participate in The Art of Domesticity temporary exhibition